IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PUBLIC AGENCIES AND PRIVATE BUSINESS, DEVELOP AND MANAGE FACILITIES AND SERVICES WHICH STIMULATE PRIVATE JOB CREATION AND COMMERCE, WHILE PROTECTING THE QUALITY OF LIFE, NEEDS AND DESIRES OF AREA RESIDENTS.
The following tenets are basic to accomplishing this mission:
- Be a responsible steward of the public resources, and operate in a manner which maintains a high level of public understanding and confidence in the Port’s activites.
- Operate as a primarily self-supporting public enterprise, which will maintain the financial strength necessary to fulfill our mission on a continuing basis.
- Operate in a manner that avoids displacement of private business activity.
- Establish and maintain sound and ethical management practices in all relations with the Port’s customers, employees and the community at large.
- Give priority to the fostering of economic developments, which, directly or indirectly, lead to the creation, and maintenance of family wage jobs.
- Concentrate on developments for which the Port is uniquely qualified, primarily marine related activities, transportation, and environmental clean-ups.
- Economically or socially justify all new capital projects.
- Provide services and facilities that do not require continuing subsidy.
- Quality of life means an appropriate balance among economic, social, and environmental elements.